6.10.3 plans

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Apr 22 19:56:46 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Due to some problems with the handling of ^C in ghci, we are planning to
do a 6.10.3 release.

The idea is that, rather than being a full-blown release process,
including all the various fixes that have been made since 6.10.2, we
will only do what is necessary to resolve the ^C issue. By keeping the
changes to a minimum, we will minimise the amount of testing,
release-note writing, etc that is necessary.

An exception to this rule is that we will probably also rebundle time in
the bindists, as that has little chance of breaking anything else.

There are actually two problems with ^C. One is due to the changes in
the signal handling in ghci, and we will fix that. The other is that, on
some platforms (including x86/Linux), the interaction between editline
and GHC means that pressing ^C causes a segfault. Given all the other
issues that people have had with editline, we plan to use haskeline in
6.10.3 instead. We already planned to do this for 6.12, but we think
that it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later. The plan is:

* Add haskeline and deps as boot packages

* Move the interactive modules from the ghc package to the ghc-bin
  package. This means that the ghc package will not depend on the new
  boot packages, so there will not be any problems with upgrading them.

Any comments?

Thanks
Ian