6.10.3 plans

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:32:02 EDT 2009

On 27/04/2009 01:28, Sigbjorn Finne wrote:
> On 4/25/2009 07:16, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:08:38AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>>> We do have a WARNING pragma, incedentally:
>>>
>>> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/pragmas.html#warning-deprecated-pragma
>>>

>> I don't think that using it for this would be a good idea, though. It
>> would mean that people who really do want
>> Foreign.ForeignPtr.{newForeignPtr,addForeignPtrFinalizer}
>> would not be able to write warning-free code.
>
> Repeating myself, I suppose :) , but I would be happy to take that "hit"
> for 6.10.3 if it avoids other GHC users from spending unproductive
> time getting on top of this change. ymmv.

As a compromise, how about expanding the runtime error message to make
it clear that this is a change in 6.10.2?

finalizer: error: a C finalizer called back into Haskell.
    This was previously allowed, but is disallowed in GHC 6.10.2 and later.
    To create finalizers that may call back into Haskll, use
    Foreign.Concurrent.newForeignPtr instead of Foreign.newForeignPtr.