gcc version to use on sparc/solaris

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 11 10:59:33 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 10:29 -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2009 Jan 11, at 9:48, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 21:06 +1100, Ben Lippmeier wrote:
> >> I'm running into some huge compile times that I'm hoping someone will
> >> have some suggestions about. When compiling Parser.hs the
> >> intermediate
> >> .hc file is 4MB big, and is taking GCC 4.2.1 more than 2 hours to get
> >> through.
> >>
> > Here is what I've discovered...
> >
> > I built four versions of gcc and used them to build ghc-6.8.3. I
> > selected the last point release of the last four major gcc releases:
> > gcc-4.0.4
> > gcc-4.1.2
> > gcc-4.2.4
> > gcc-4.3.2

> > moment for ghc on sparc/solaris.
>
> FWIW I've built 6.8.2 with gcc-4.2.2, ti was slow but it built and the
> testsuite didn't look too horrible.

Yes, I built ghc-6.8.3 with gcc-4.2.4 and it builds ok, it just takes
two days to do so. So it's not really usable for ghc development. It may
be fine for using ghc, but not for hacking ghc.

In future it should not matter once we get the -fasm route working. Then
we'll only need gcc to build the rts and to assemble things, not to
compile massive .hc files.

Duncan