Proposal: Deprecate ExistentialQuantification

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:25:15 EDT 2009

Hello,

Sorry for responding so late---I just saw the thread.  I don't think
that we should deprecate the usual way to define existentials.  While
the GADT syntax is nice in some cases, there are also examples when it
is quite verbose. For example, there is a lot of repetition in
datatypes that have many constructors, especially if the datatype has
parameters and a slightly longer name.  Furthermore, I find the type
variables in the declaration of the type quite confusing because they
have no relation to the type variables in the constructors.  Finally,
there is quite a lot of literature about the semantics of existential
types, while the semantics of GADTs seems quite complex, so it seems a
bit risky to mix up the two.

-Iavor