can we bootstrap GHC 6.x?

Shu Wu superwushu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:43:46 EDT 2009

Hi buddies. I've been looking for methods to bootstrap GHC 6.10 but with no
luck. It seems GHC 5.0 is the last version that provides HC source for
bootstrapping. I think, however, bootstrapping GHC above 6.x is still
necessary.
  First, it will be easier to build GHC on a new platform, eg, OpenSolaris.
By now I succeed building GHC 6.10.4 on OpenSolaris(x86), with the help of
GHC 6.6 binary package for Solaris x86 by Christian Maeder. But that was a
terrible procedure. I have to deal with bins and libs for two versions of
GHC.
  Second, compiling GHC from strap is the only way to go into OpenSolaris'
official package repository, since all packages for OpenSolaris are built by
Source Juicer (http://jucr.opensolaris.org/home/) from pure source code, and
there can't be any pre-installed GHC on Source Juicer Build Grid.

Cheers,

Wu Shu