Can't get editline support to work in 6.10.1

Devon Tucker devonrtucker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:44:40 EDT 2009

Hello,

I recently compiled and installed GHC 6.10.1 on Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit,
after having installed 6.8 from the repositories. However when I
launched ghci I discovered that the arrow keys and backspace did not
work! After some quick googling I came to the conclusion that editline
support was not enabled. I installed any package I could find named
libedit*-dev and configured and compiled GHC again. Still no luck.
Looking at my configure output I see a line like this (paraphrased, I
don't have the output in front of me right now):

Checking for ghc editline package... no.

I really don't know what to do now. I have installed 6.10.1 on almost
identical setups without any problem and I find ghci to be totally
unproductive without command history and tab-completion. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Devon Tucker