can't run Grapefruit

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Mon May 25 13:55:17 EDT 2009

Dean Herington wrote:
> GHCi, version 6.10.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> ... cut ...
> could not load DLL)
Ok, I do not use windows more than a year now exactly because of
problems like these, but this bug was often because of incorrect or
missing value in extra-ghci-libraries attribute. Run this:
 ghc-pkg describe glib
and then check whether attribute extra-ghci-libraries contains something
sensible. Now, I do not know what it needs to be exactly now (do not use
windows any more so I cannot look it up) but I recall that I was adding
value libcairo-2 to extra-ghci-libraries for the cairo package. The
point is that the dll name containing the C implementation of the given
package must correspond to the string in extra-ghci-libraries. IIRC,
sometimes, I was also adding the path to the library (something like
-L<path>) in ld-option attribute. But that was probably for compiling
and not for ghci.

Hope it helps,
   Peter.