[Haskell-cafe] Template Haskell very wordy w/r/t Decs and Types

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed May 27 15:38:34 EDT 2009

Folks

Quite a few people have asked for splices in Template Haskell *types*, and I have finally gotten around to implementing them.  So now you can write things like

        instance Binary $(blah blah) where ...
or      f :: $(wubble bubble) -> Int

as requested, for example, in the message below.  Give it a whirl.  You need the HEAD; in a day or two you should find binary snapshots if you don't want to build from source.

        Simon

PS: Note that you (still) cannot write a splice in a *binding* position. Thus you can't write
        f $(blah blah) = e
or
        data T $(blah blah) = MkT Int

I don't intend to change this; see the commentary at http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1476