Porting to DragonFly BSD

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Fri Nov 6 14:14:58 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 08:56:00AM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 04/11/2009 15:08, Colin Adams wrote:
> >When GHC 6.12.1 is released, I'm going to have a go at porting it to
> >DragonFly BSD (32-bit incarnation). Is the porting page on the
> >wikiup-to-date?
>
> There are apparently some difficulties with porting right now:

Unfortunately I didn't have much time after the OpenBSD p2k9 in
Budapesst (where I got a little bit further with the bootstrapping),
but I remember that I got parts of stage 1 built but then something
in utils/* didn't compile.

I hope to have a look this weekend (and to find the patches I wrote
in Budapest). There are probably just some more pattern rules missing
for the .hc file bootstrapping.

> Depending on how similar the host/target archtectures are, it might be
> possible to follow the instructions to get a working port.

Once the make rules are complete, the Linker may be tricky (it
already contains #ifdef'd sections specific to FreeBSD and OpenBSD),
but I don't expect other parts of GHC to need tweaking.

> We need to have another run at doing a port and iron out the bugs in the
> procedure.

At least I tried to correct some of the hints on the porting wiki
page, but it's obviously still incomplete.

Ciao,
	Kili