Hsc2Hs/hGetContents encodings error (was: ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.1 Release Candidate 2)

Daniel Schüssler anotheraddress at gmx.de
Mon Nov 23 01:53:55 EST 2009

Hi,

I don't think this is the same problem as the one mentioned by Alex
(installing `network' works for me):

{----------------------------------------------
$ cabal install X11

Resolving dependencies...
Configuring X11-1.4.6.1...
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-compiler
checking for gcc... gcc

[... configure stuff omitted...]

checking for X11/cursorfont.h... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating config.mk
config.status: creating X11.buildinfo
config.status: creating include/HsX11Config.h
config.status: creating include/X11_extras_config.h
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-compiler
Preprocessing library X11-1.4.6.1...
hsc2hs: Graphics/X11/Xlib/Extras.hsc: hGetContents: invalid argument (Invalid
or incomplete multibyte or wide character)
X11-1.4.6.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
----------------------------------------------}

Converting the offending file (Extras.hsc) to UTF-8 manually solves it:

{----------------------------------------------

$ file Extras.hsc
Extras.hsc: ISO-8859 English text

$ <Extras.hsc iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF8 >temp
$ mv temp Extras.hsc
$ cabal install
[OK]

Greetings,