no backspace, delete or arrow keys in ghci

Gabriel Schwanen g.schwanen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 14:12:24 EDT 2009

Hello to everybody,

I'm currently working with Haskell via the ghc interpreter (version
6.10.4 on Ubuntu 9.10).

The problem, if it is really a problem and not a normal comportement,
happens when I try, as example, to enter some characters after having
execute getLine. Actually, if I make a mistake when typing the string, I
can't use neither backspace, delete or even arrow keys to correct it
before hitting enter to finish input. In fact, as example, if I hit
backspace, I get "^?" in place of deleting the previous character ... :^(

As I wrote above, I don't know if it is a "bug" or not. Maybe it is normal.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel