Advice on Multiple GHC installations

Bradford Larsen brad.larsen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 00:13:17 EDT 2010

Many choices were suggested!  For now, I have decided to go with stow.
 I installed 3 versions of GHC in /usr/local/stow, and installed
cabal-install locally (i.e. to my home directory), built with ghc
6.12.1.  I'm not sure that this is the best way to go about this, but
it's what I'm working with for now.  I experimented a little bit, and
switching between default ghc versions seems to work, not breaking my
installation of cabal-install in my home directory.

I seriously considered the simpler `manual symlink' approach, or even
just installing in sequence to /usr/local 6.8.3, 6.10.4, and 6.12.1.
These alternatives could both permit having several versions of ghc in
my PATH simultaneously (e.g., /usr/local/bin/ghc-6.10.4 and
/usr/local/bin/ghc-6.12.1).  With stow, only the currently selected
`installed' ghc binaries will show up in /usr/local/bin.

Thanks,
Brad