Overlapping Instances + Existentials = Incoherent Instances

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:07:34 EST 2010

Greetings,

I've actually known about this for a while, but while discussing it, it
occurred to me that perhaps it's something I should report to the proper
authorities, as I've never seen a discussion of it. But, I thought I'd start
here rather than file a bug, since I'm not sure it isn't intended. Anyhow,
here's the example:

  class C a where
    foo :: a -> String

  instance C a where
    foo _ = "universal"

  instance C Int where
    foo _ = "Int"

  bar :: a -> String
  bar x = foo x

Now, normally bar generates a complaint, but if you enable
IncoherentInstances, it's accepted, and it always generates "universal", even
if called with an Int. Adding a 'C a' constraint to the type makes it give
"Int" in the case of an Int.

Now, IncoherentInstances is something most people would suggest you don't use
(even people who are cool with OverlappingInstances). However, it turns out
that ExistentialQuantification does the same thing, because we can write:

  data Ex = forall a. Ex a

  baz :: a -> String
  baz x = case Ex x of
               Ex x' -> foo x'

and this is accepted, and always yields "universal", just like bar. So, things
that you get out of an existential are allowed to make use of the general
versions of overlapping instances if any fit.

So, I never really regarded this as anything more than an oddity that's
unlikely to come up. And it might be working as intended. But I thought
perhaps I should ask: is this intended? One could probably build a case that
baz should only be accepted if IncoherentInstances are enabled, since it's
doing about the same thing.

I'm not really sure how far back this behavior goes. I've probably known about
it for several 6.X releases without mentioning it except as a fun party fact
(apologies). Is this the way things are supposed to work? (And sorry if I just
missed the discussion somewhere. I searched the trac and didn't see anything
very promising.)

Cheers,
-- Dan