DPH and CUDA status

Brad Larsen brad.larsen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:54:15 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Jeff Heard <jeff at renci.org> wrote:
> [...]  One thing though, is that CUDA is being
> supplanted by OpenCL in the next few years, and OpenCL can handle data
> parallelism on multicore CPUs as well as GPUs with the same code.
> It's a little more flexible overall than CUDA, and will be portable
> across ATI/nVidia/Intell/AMD/Sony Cell in the end, and is well
> supported on Linux, Mac, and Windows systems.
[...]

I have been told by NVIDIA folks that CUDA is not going to disappear.
Its C++ API (as opposed to its ``driver interface'') is quite a bit
higher level than OpenCL, suitable for (painful) application
development, whereas OpenCL seems more targeted for compiler and
framework writers.

Sincerely,
Brad