How to get the file descriptor of a handle?

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Sat Feb 13 19:58:43 EST 2010

Hello,

In GHC 6.12 there is no guarantee that a Handle is backed up by a file
descriptor. That said,  check out the handleToFd defined on line 141
here:

http://patch-tag.com/r/mae/sendfile/snapshot/current/content/pretty/src/Network/Socket/SendFile/Internal.hs

A better type might be:

handleToFd :: Handle -> IO (Maybe Fd)

instead of raising an exception. Having a Handle not backed by a Fd is
not really an 'exceptional' condition after all.

- jeremy