Confusion about GHC and GMP

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Feb 20 14:47:56 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 04:04:16PM -0800, Greg Fitzgerald wrote:

> I was able to build GHC on Linux with no trouble. But on Windows, I go
> down because (I think) the preprocessor is choking on ^M characters.
>
> I get errors like this:
> libraries\haskeline\.\System\Console\Haskeline\Backend\Win32.hsc:153:
> error: syntax error before ')' token
> libraries\haskeline\.\System\Console\Haskeline\Backend\Win32.hsc: In
> function `main':
> libraries\haskeline\.\System\Console\Haskeline\Backend\Win32.hsc:155:
> error: syntax error before ';' token
> compiling libraries/haskeline/dist-install/build/System/Console/Haskeline/Backend/Win32_hsc_make.c
>

> After removing those ^M's from Win32.hsc and Win32_hsc_make.c, things
> are moving along, slowly but surely.  The build is using the "inplace"
> gcc so I assume the problem is not gcc, but whatever generates those
> files.  Any idea how the extra line feeds slip in?

That's not ringing any bells with me. We'd need more details to work out
what's going on, e.g. the commandline, what version of GHC you are
bootstrapping with, what versino you're compiling, whether you are using
msys or cygwin, etc. It may also help to see what the generated
Win32_hsc_make.c looks like.

Thanks
Ian