Custom reducing functions for DPH

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Mon May 10 15:29:04 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I was asking this question on #haskell and thoughtpolice directed me
here for a possibly more up-to-date information.

Some of the important primitives offered by Data Parallel Haskell are
reduction primitives such as sumP and prodP, which take a data parallel
array and reduce it to a single value.  I was wondering what the current
capabilities for end-users interested in implementing their own
reduction primitives were.  In particular, if I want to run data parallel
computations on strings, I will generally want a more exotic set of
combining operators.

thoughtpolice informed me that GHC 6.10 seemed to have sumP/prodP hard
coded into the vectorisation and optimisation stages, so this didn't
really seem possible in userspace.  I'm interested to know if this situation
has changed.  No hard feelings if it hasn't; I'm really just playing around
with DPH and seeing what it can do. :-)

Cheers,
Edward