ANNOUNCE: GHC 6.12.3 Release Candidate 1

Axel Simon Axel.Simon at in.tum.de
Thu May 27 12:42:08 EDT 2010

On 27.05.2010, at 16:28, Christian Maeder wrote:

> Axel Simon schrieb:
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> I can build this version on Mac OS X 10.5 and compile Gtk2Hs
>> against it.
>> All concurrency demos work and the more complicated demos work that
>> trigger several levels of callbacks (to C and back to Haskell).
>
> 1. I could not install gtk2hs-0.11.0 under x86 Solaris.
>
> Linking /tmp/glib-0.11.025732/glib-0.11.0/dist/setup/setup ...
> Configuring glib-0.11.0...
> Preprocessing library glib-0.11.0...
> gtk2hsC2hs: Errors during expansion of binding hooks:
>
> ./System/Glib/GObject.chs:107: (column 22) [ERROR]
>  Cannot find a definition for `g_object_get_type' in the header file.

Yup, we didn't test on Solaris.

However, this is a Gtk+ version problem. The above mentioned function
does not exist in Gtk+ 2.14 because it would be equivalent to
G_TYPE_OBJECT. I've fixed this in the darcs repository.

> 2. under a x86 Mac with a GTK-2.14 framework I got:
>
> Linking /tmp/gtk-0.11.025922/gtk-0.11.0/dist/setup/setup ...
>
> Configuring gtk-0.11.0...
>
> setup: ./Graphics/UI/Gtk/General/IconTheme.chs: invalid argument

> gtk-0.11.0 failed during the building phase. The exception was:

This bug occurs if you're running in anything else but UTF-8 locale.
As Andy said, this is fixed in darcs.

> The packages
>   cairo-0.11.0
>   gio-0.11.0
>   glib-0.11.0
>   pango-0.11.0
> built fine.
>
> The GTK-2.14 framework is:
> http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agbkb/forschung/formal_methods/CoFI/hets/intel-mac/gtk2-framework.dmg
> and originally came from http://r.research.att.com/

For the next point, it would really help us, if you could check out
the darcs repo and build again. That would then also entail ironing
out the problems with Gtk+ 2.14.

> 3. Under linux we still have a problem with the new gtk2hs-0.11.0
> version.
> http://trac.informatik.uni-bremen.de:8080/hets/ticket/794

This would be very interesting to resolve.

I assume:

- you use -threaded to compile your program
- you only use postGUISync and postGUIAsync from threads different to
the Gtk2Hs thread

Is this true? If yes, I'll give you an elaboration on how threads are
supposed to work in Gtk+ (I think I finally understood this!) and what
I've changed in 0.11.0.

Cheers,
Axel