link problem under macosx

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 06:53:07 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Christian Maeder
<Christian.Maeder at dfki.de>wrote:

> Am 02.11.2010 18:03, schrieb Thorkil Naur:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 01:03:04PM +0100, Christian Maeder wrote:
> >> Are there better workarounds?
> >
> > I am not sure about that, I assume that you have looked at
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4068?
>
> no, I found Simon Michael's message
> http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@haskell.org/msg81961.html
> by chance.
>
> I did not try out his extra-lib-dirs proposal, since all cabal packages
> were already installed.
>
> And I agree with him that it should be documented somewhere more
> prominent and that avoiding macports is no (good) solution.
>
> I'll add his proposal to your (closed) ticket to increase the hit rate.
>
> Cheers Christian

His proposed solution works until you try to link a Haskell project to a
macports lib that requires libiconv.  It's also inconvenient that you'll
sometimes need to unpack hackage code and manually edit the .cabal file.

If you want to use macports, the only real solution is to build a GHC+libs
that prefers /opt/local/ to the system-installed locations.  The macports
GHC does this, or you can try to compile it yourself with appropriate flags
to configure (whatever they may be).

John