Terminate unused worker threads

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 04:31:04 EST 2010

On 17/11/2010 18:55, Ryan Newton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Apologies for commenting before understanding Capability.c very well.
>   But it seems that this file uses locking quite heavily.  Has there
> been an analysis of whether atomic memory ops and lock free algorithms
> could play any role here?

The locks here are mostly used when handing over the Capability between
OS threads, or when an OS thread is going idle, and neither of these are
going to be made faster by using lock-free data structures.  In fact,
the lock on the Capability is only used to protect a very few fields -
most of the fields are private to the Capability and require no locking.

However, there is one place that I think a better implementation could
be used.  Each Capability has a message queue, which needs to behave
like a multiple-writer single-reader buffer (order is unimportant).
Currently it's a linked list protected by a lock, and this is bad -
multiple writers contend for the lock with the reader.  Having the
reader take the whole buffer in one go was an improvement, but doesn't
completely solve the problem.  Something I need to be careful of is that
the Capability should never go idle when the queue is non-empty (we
don't want a lost wakeup), so presumably the lock is needed when the
queue goes from empty to non-empty, but otherwise a lock-free operation
to add items should suffice.

I haven't trawled the literature yet - is there a known data structure
that would be good here?