ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.1 Release Candidate 1

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Oct 23 10:02:07 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 02:37:04PM -0700, Evan Laforge wrote:

> I don't think there's anything magic about the name.  The tricky thing
> about uninstallation is detecting when you uninstalled the currently
> "active" version (as defined by the plain 'ghc' symlinks and thy
> Current symlink), and either remove the links in that case, or pick
> the highest remaining version and relink it.

I've pushed patches to do this, and also added the full GHC version and
arch (i386/x86_64) to the framework version number.

One annoyance is that if you have 7.1.20101023-i386 installed, then
7.1.20101022-i386 won't actually install any files (Console's log gave
something to the effect of "newer version already installed" as the
reason). I'm not sure if that can be fixed by fiddling with
CURRENT_PROJECT_VERSION, or by fixing/removing the version number in
GHC-relocatable.pmdoc/01ghc.xml or GHC-system.pmdoc/01ghc.xml.

> WRT stuff like versioned man pages, I'm also reluctant to diverge from
> what the standard unix install does.  How does it handle multiple
> versions and uninstalls?

By installing different versions in different directories. There are
some versioned programs etc, but we aren't consistent about it. We
probably should be, one way or the other.

Thanks
Ian