ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.0.1 Release Candidate 1

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Oct 23 19:40:30 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 04:21:29PM -0700, Evan Laforge wrote:
> > I've pushed patches to do this, and also added the full GHC version and
> > arch (i386/x86_64) to the framework version number.
> >
> > One annoyance is that if you have 7.1.20101023-i386 installed, then
> > 7.1.20101022-i386 won't actually install any files (Console's log gave
> > something to the effect of "newer version already installed" as the
> > reason). I'm not sure if that can be fixed by fiddling with
> > CURRENT_PROJECT_VERSION, or by fixing/removing the version number in
> > GHC-relocatable.pmdoc/01ghc.xml or GHC-system.pmdoc/01ghc.xml.
>
> I couldn't find any documentation for how OS X determines a newer
> version,

I'm not sure either, so at some point we might have an upgrade that it
thinks is a downgrade (e.g. 7.8 -> 7.10).

But actually, we want it to just install what we ask it to, without
checking for "newer" versions already being installed.

> You can install with the cmdline installer, which will print those
> errors to stdout, but the GUI version annoyingly won't tell you if it
> aborted because it thinks you have a newer version.

Right; you can find the message ("open /Applications/Utilities/Console"
and select "All Events", from memory), but yes, it is annoying that it
looks like it has successfully installed, and you need to go looking for
the log.

> I'll download the latest build and mess around with it some more to
> try to figure out what makes version upgrades happen.

Great, thanks!

> The main thing to verify is that release versions with different
> patchlevels upgrade properly, since this is certainly something people
> will be doing.

With 7.1.20101022-i386 installed I can install 7.1.20101023-i386 without
7.1.20101022-i386 being uninstalled, so hopefully it'll work.

Thanks
Ian