Rebuilding ghc changes interface hashes?

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Wed Apr 6 20:44:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 12:40:45PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> compiler/stage2/build/Config.hs includes cBooterVersion, so if you boot
> with a different version then you get different code => different ABI.
>
> We could just remove this. In theory, stage2 won't be affected by the
> bootstrapping compiler at all anyway.
>
> Alternatively, if we make a config file (as we were discussing for
> putting the paths to gcc and ar in) then it could go in there, and then
> wouldn't be part of the ABI.

Even if Simon prefers the config file approach (and there's still
the question wether the booter version is useful at all), attached
is an old patch in darcs format i found on my disk (dated april
24th 2010). Just in case anyone wants to play with it.

I still have to find my noticeses about wether cBooterVersion affects
more than only the ghc lib.

Ciao,
	Kili