hsc2hs and #include

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 03:18:01 CEST 2011

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>> But I also think we may as well just remove most of these conditionals.
>> The GHC < 4.09 tests can surely be removed, and likewise the GHC < 6.3
>> tests. Personally I'd remove the GHC < 6.10 test too, but perhaps that
>> will be more contentious.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
> That was going to be my first suggestion.  Maybe the only reason these
> are needed is that the hsc2hs binary itself isn't versioned, otherwise
> you simply run the one that came with your ghc, and if it's for ghc-4
> then it should be producing code ghc-4 understands.
>
> So the problem would be with code that knows to specifically invoke an
> older ghc, but still picks up the hsc2hs symlink which points to a
> newer one.  I don't know of any framework for compiling with multiple
> versions, but I'd think it should be smart enough to find the
> appropriate ghc lib directory and run the various utilities out of
> there.

So what's the consensus here?  Does dropping all backwards
compatibility from hsc2hs make sense?  Presumably it's there for a
reason so I may be missing something.

In any case, though I like the idea of dropping all the #ifdef, I
think the specific instance for omitting #includes is incorrect, and
I'm not sure why other people aren't seeing that.. I don't understand
what's going on with __GLASGOW_HASKELL__.  Maybe something funny with
my install?

Should I try to send a patch for the remove all backward compatibility
thing?  Or one for the specific #include problem I've been having?