Cheap and cheerful partial evaluation

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:46:45 CEST 2011

Edward,

On first glance at your email I misunderstood you as asking about using
GHC's optimizer as a source-to-source operation (using GHC as an optimizer,
retrieving "partially evaluated" Haskell code).  That's not what you were
asking for -- but is it possible?

  -Ryan

P.S.   One compiler that comes to mind that exposes this kind of thing
nicely is Chez Scheme ( http://scheme.com/ ).  In Chez you can get your
hands on "cp0" which does a source to source transform (aka compiler pass
zero, after macro expansion), and could use cp0 to preprocess the source and
then print it back out.