Records in Haskell

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Dec 28 15:44:41 CET 2011

Greg Weber wrote:> Are Records stalled out again?

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Yes, they are stalled again...
> There was essentially no reaction.  As it’s quite a lot of work to
> implement, and no one seemed to care very much, I put it back on the back
> burner.   So that’s where it stands...
> What this needs is someone (not me) to lead the discussion and try to make
> sure it makes progress...

Simon, I think you have misinterpreted the lack of reaction.

When I relayed your call for leadership on reddit, there was
a huge response:

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/nph9l/records_stalled_again_leadership_needed/

It is quite clear from this that many people, likely a solid
majority of everyone active in the Haskell community, considers
records to be among the top priorities of things that need to be
improved in GHC.

The lack of response, I believe, is just a lack of anyone who
can cut through all the noise and come up with some
practical way to move forward in one of the many possible
directions.

Thanks,
Yitz