7.4.1-cand for docon

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 31 06:36:48 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 07:55:05PM +0400, Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:
> Dear GHC team,
>
> The archive
>     http://botik.ru/pub/local/Mechveliani/ghcBugs/ghc741candQuest.zip
>
> contains the source of the  docon-2.12  application.
> ghc-7.0.1  compiles it and runs the test successfully.
> ghc-7.4.0.20111219  cannot compile it.
>
> 1. It requires to add  Show a  to  Integral a  in a certain place.
>    It occurs that this requirement breaks the standard (?).
>    But all right, so far, add   Show a  there and see what happens further.
>
> 2. It reports that certain two packages overlap at some module.
>    This is a matter of the  `build-depends'  field in  docon.cabal
>    and of the  import  declarations.
>
> I tried to correct the  build-depends  list.
> But each time the compiler reports that
> a) some packages overlap            or
> b) build-depends  has a wrong line  or
> c) it cannot find some module (for example,  Random).
>
> Can you please, look into  ghc741candQuest.zip  and set there an appropriate
> build-depends ?
> (so that            make configure
>                     make build
>                     make install
> finish correctly).
> How does the user guess of this list, what is the method?

The attached patch fixes docon so that it compiles under
ghc-7.4.0.20111219.  Here is an explanation of the necessary changes:

  * The haskell98 and base packages are no longer compatible, you must
    choose one or the other.  Choose 'haskell98' if you are coding
    to the Haskell 98 standard, and base if you are coding to Haskell
    2010.  I deleted the haskell98 package from the build-depends.
  * Module names like 'List', 'Maybe', 'Random' do not conform to the
    Haskell 2010 standard; they must be replaced with Data.List,
    Data.Maybe, and System.Random respectively.
  * Also, base no longer includes System.Random, so the 'random'
    package must be added to the build-depends field.

-Brent