RFC: migrating to git

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:38:49 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Max Bolingbroke
<batterseapower at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Naturally other workflows are possible and I'm sure other list members
> will chime in with their own favourites :-)

Here's the flow I use:

with the exception of having the master branch be the development
branch, which is what most Git users expect.

> Ultimately I'm quite concerned with keeping GHC HQ happy (as you guys
> do the lions share of the work!). I feel we should only make the
> switch if the most frequent committers (i.e. Simon, Simon and Ian) are
> *totally happy* with it and any associated workflow changes that may
> be required.

I agree with this sentiment. If GHC HQ believes Git will make their
job harder, I'm not in favor of a switch. (From personal experience I
think it will make it easier after an initial short learning curve,
but I cannot know this for certain of course.)

Johan