RFC: migrating to git

David Brown haskell3 at davidb.org
Mon Jan 10 16:48:07 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10 2011, Max Bolingbroke wrote:

> 2) There was also concern that Git isn't so great on Windows. I have
> heard that this is less of an issue now, but I never personally
> suffered from any problems, so can't be sure. (FWIW I used Git on
> Windows industrially ~1 year ago for 3 months and didn't have
> problems, though the people around me occasionally had issues with
> e.g. case insensitivity causing obscure error messages).

As a linux kernel subsystem maintainer (but probably not a GHC
developer), I would probably still recommend git.  Mercurial and git are
getting fairly similar feature wise.  I find git easier to work with
lots of branches.

As far as Windows performance, it is poorer than when using it on Linux,
often vastly, but on Windows it tends to only perform about as slow as
other VCSes.  It's more the comparison against the Linux version that is
heavily tuned for the large history and numerous branches of the kernel.

David