git repos for testing (was: Re: RFC: migrating to git)

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:30:32 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've made git mirrors of the current GHC HEAD repos (all of them), so people
> can try out their workflows with git.

Poking around in the different repos works for me and is fast. For example:

Find new files in base:

$ cd libraries/base
$ git status

Find the definition and uses of threadWaitRead and skip git metadata

$ git grep threadWaitRead

See when threadWaitRead was added (and introduced in different files):

$ git -SthreadWaitRead log

(In 2001, by Simon M).

> Note that sync-all is not executable, which is why I used "perl sync-all"
> rather than ./sync-all.  You can chmod it, but the chmod will be seen as a
> local change by git which will get in the way of future pulls, and you'll
> need to stash or merge or rebase the change (welcome to git :-).

This particular problem is due to darcs (which we are mirroring) does
not supporting executable permissions on files. We can just set the
executable bit on the file and commit it.

We should set up a git daemon at some point as it's much more
efficient that pulling over HTTP.

Johan