RFC: migrating to git

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:15:20 CET 2011

Hi,
Just as a point of information, the following rules can help avoid some of
the gotchas:

- Treat submodules are read-only (i.e., don't make commits there).  The
reason for this is that a submodule is usually not on a branch, and so
making a commit would result in a detached head.
- When you pull (or change branches) use "git submodule update" to move the
submodules to their correct versions (yes, it's annoying that one has to do
that).
- Changes to a sub-module should be done in a separate repo (not GHC's
submodule).  This is where you switch "hats" and become a "base" developer
rather then a "GHC" developer for a bit, and use whatever workflow you
normally use for development.
 - Every now and then you update the sub-module "pointer" of your GHC branch
to a newer versions of the sub-module.  You do this by setting the
sub-module to the desired version (e.g., by a pull from its repo), and then
committing the change to the submodule version (perhaps with other GHC
changes).

I agree with Simon's assessment that it is probably  a good idea to start
without submodules, at least until all developers are comfortable with the
rest of git's model.

-Iavor