backward compatibility

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 09:14:29 CET 2011

On 20 January 2011 02:47, John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote:
> Allowing this was a specific feature that was included in ghc on
> purpose (as well as the relaxed if/then layout rule in do statements)
> So this is definitely a regression.

Ian split this out in this patch:
http://darcs.haskell.org/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi?r=ghc;a=darcs_commitdiff;h=20101124220507-3fd76-26e1672e163f309adf8992fd402df1214b7db6dd.gz

(You can see the tests here:
http://darcs.haskell.org/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi?r=testsuite;a=darcs_commitdiff;h=20101125012715-3fd76-fb009b5a590d609380c894261e651710f86c0430.gz)

However, when he split it out he made sure that it was still turned on
by default unless the package explicitly requested Haskell 98 or 2010
compatibility (with -XHaskell98 or -XHaskell2010) - so I'm not sure
why it should cause breakage. I don't have a HEAD build around so I
can't find out for myself at the moment.

Cheers,
Max