Release/git plans

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:00:02 CET 2011

On 21 January 2011 09:13, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty keen on the whole plugin idea, because it makes the compiler more extensible and lowers the barrier to entry.  My only reason for delay is that I wanted to review the design (as seen by a plug-in author).  Once we provide it, we have to support it, and it's harder to change.

The Scala compiler has a plugin system.  Here's a document that
describes their approach to dealing with phase ordering of plugins:
<http://www.scala-lang.org/sid/2>.  It seems rather complex, but seems
necessary (or the document is just very long).  There's also a
tutorial on writing Scala plugins, which may help to get a feel for
how their API works. <http://www.scala-lang.org/node/140>

/ Thomas