haskell-platform configures failed on Ubuntu 11.04

David Smith dreamersdw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 20:26:29 CEST 2011

I tried to build the newest haskell-platform-2011.2.01 from source on Ubuntu
11.04, following the instructions
http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/haskell-platform.xhtml. But there was
still an configure error.

$ ./configure
*
*     Haskell Platform Source Installer
*
*     For the Haskell Platform 2011.2.0.1 and GHC 7.0.3
*
checking for ghc... /usr/local/bin/ghc
checking for ghc-pkg... /usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg
checking for hsc2hs... /usr/local/bin/hsc2hs
checking version of ghc... 7.0.3
checking version of ghc-pkg matches... yes
checking ghc actually works... [1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
conftest.hs, conftest.o )
yes
checking the ghc core packages are all installed... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
checking GL/gl.h usability... yes
checking GL/gl.h presence... yes
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking for library containing glEnd... no
configure: error: The OpenGL C library is required

In fact, glEnd function did exist in /usr/include/GL/gl.h

I googled this issue, only found this one is similar to mine, but my system
is Ubuntu not Opensus
http://haskell.1045720.n5.nabble.com/Haskell-Platform-can-t-use-OpenGL-on-OpenBSD-td3187114.html

The following are the libraries I already installed

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo apt-get install libglc-dev
sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev
sudo apt-get install libedit-dev
sudo apt-get install libglw1-mesa libglw1-mesa-dev

Can anyone suggest the libraries my OS missing ?