a message from Tokyo

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Sat Mar 12 02:53:40 CET 2011

Dear GHC users and Haskell community members,

I'm writing this message to tell you the situation of Japan. As you
know, the biggest earthquake since 1900 occurred. North-east of Japan
is now like hell. Many towns were destroyed due to Tsunami. Many fires
still continue.

I guess some of you have been to Sendai which is a central town of
North-east of Japan. The situation of Sendai is really really bad. I'm
concerning whether or not people of Tohoku University are safe. Thanks
to twitter, Eijiro Sumii, who is the chair of ICPF 2011 programming
contest is safe.

Fortunately, Tokyo is fine. I was working at my office in Tokyo and
experienced the biggest earthquake in my life. 16 years ago, I was
living in a place which is 200 km away from Kobe. At the time, the
earthquake was the biggest for me, of course. But this time, quake
was worse than that.

All trains and subways in Tokyo stopped. Some people had to stay in
their companies. Some chose to walk for many hours. Some had to stay
in schools which were opened to everybody. In my case, I got home by
my bicycle. I could not communicate with my wife by mobile phone. But
my wife walked for four hours with our son and finally got together
yesterday.

All members of Haskell community in Tokyo are fine. Some of them are
twitting. Probably we will be able to hold a study meeting on Yesod
tommorrow.

I believe this earthquake will not stop ICPF 2011 since Tokyo had
little damage.

I hope people living in North-east Japan can go home as quickly as
possible and their town will recover.

If you have any questions, please tell me by e-mail or
twitter(@kazu_yamamoto). And I hope you kindly pray for them.

Sincerely,

--Kazu