upgrading to 7.0.3 causes assembly errors

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:23:12 CEST 2011

> No, GHC compiles either for 32-bit or 64-bit, chosen when GHC is built.  You
> probably want to install the 32-bit version of GHC.

Ohh, so ghc always produces one kind, and no amount of -m flags will
change that?  I see, I thought it was like gcc that just took a flag.

> I'm not sure how this worked for you before...

Before ghc on OS X always produced 32bit, but gcc defaulted to 64bit.
So I set a bunch of flags so that whenever ghc invoked gcc it would
pass a -m32.

> Anyway, it looks like the argument ordering for the assembler has already
> changed in 7.2, so I think your particular issue should have gone away.

But if I'm understanding you correctly, the underlying issue is ghc
only being able to produce one "width", so even if the args are
consistent ghc will still be producing whatever width it was compiled
for.

>> I guess I should have upgraded sooner to catch this back when there
>> was a new ghc 7 release every week...
>
> Yes, if you could check with the 7.2.1 release candidate when we put one
> out, that would be very helpful.

Ok, looking forward to it!  I followed the directions on the wiki but
I'm a git newbie so I don't really understand its branching model.
After a clone of ghc.git, do I have the latest 7.2 or is this a stable
branch or something?  I just want to make sure if I make changes I'm
working from the most up to date version.