behaviour change in getDirectoryContents in GHC 7.2?

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:29:16 CET 2011

On 2 November 2011 10:03, Jean-Marie Gaillourdet <jmg at gaillourdet.net> wrote:
> As far as I know, not all encodings are reversable. I.e. there are byte sequences which are invalid utf-8. Therefore, decoding and re-encoding might not return the exact same byte sequence.

The PEP 383 mechanism explicitly recognises this fact and defines a
reversible way of decoding bytes into strings. The new behaviour is
guaranteed to be reversible except for certain private use codepoints
(0xEF00 to 0xEFFF inclusive) which:
 1. We do not expect to see in practice
 2. Are unofficially standardised for use with this sort of "encoding hack"

Max