Way to expose BLACKHOLES through an API?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:43:17 CET 2011

On 07/11/2011 14:50, Ryan Newton wrote:
> Hi GHC users,
>
> When implementing certain concurrent systems-level software in Haskell
> it is good to be aware of all potentially blocking operations.
> Presently, blocking on an MVar is explicit (it only happens when you
> do a takeMVar), but blocking on a BLACKHOLE is implicit and can
> potentially happen anywhere.
>
> If there are known thunks where we, the programmers, know that
> contention might occur, would it be possible to create a variant of
> "Control.Monad.Evaluate" that allows us to construct non-blocking
> software:
>
>     evaluate :: a ->  IO a
>     evaluateNonblocking :: a ->  IO (Maybe a)
>
> It would simply return Nothing if the value is BLACKHOLE'd.  Of course
> it may be helpful to also distinguish the evaluated and unevaluated
> states.  Further, the above simple version allows data-races (it may
> become blackhole'd right after we evaluate).  An extreme version would
> actively blackhole it to "lock" the thunk... but maybe that's overkill
> and there are some other good ideas out there.
>
> A mechanism like the proposed should, for example, allow us to consume
> just as much of a lazy Bytestring as has already been computed by a
> producer, WITHOUT blocking and waiting on that producer thread, or
> migrating the producer computation over to our own thread (blowing its
> cache).

The problem is that a thunk may depend on other thunks, which may or may
not themselves be BLACKHOLEs.  So you might be a long way into
evaluating the argument and have accumulated a deep stack before you
encounter the BLACKHOLE.

Hmm, but there is something you could do.  Suppose a thread could be in
a mode in which instead of blocking on a BLACKHOLE it would just throw
an asynchronous exception WouldBlock.  Any computation in progress would
be safely abandoned via the usual asynchronous exception mechanism, and
you could catch the exception to implement your evaluateNonBlocking
operation.

I'm not sure this would actually be useful in practice, but it's
certainly doable.