Should GHC default to -O1 ?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:48:31 CET 2011

On 9 November 2011 13:53, Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:
> How much does using ghc without cabal imply a newer programmer? I don't use
> cabal when trying out small bits of code (maybe I should be using ghci), but
> am otherwise always using cabal.

The main reason cabal has always defaulted to -O is because
historically it's been assumed that the user is installing something
rather than just hacking on their own code.

If we can distinguish cleanly in the user interface between the
installing and hacking use cases then we could default to -O0 for the
hacking case.

Duncan