Type error: Expected type: T. Actual type T ???

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 22:18:51 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm working on a new design of monad-control[1]. However I get a type
error I don't understand. Here's an isolated example:

{-# LANGUAGE UnicodeSyntax, RankNTypes, TypeFamilies #-}

class MonadTransControl t where
  type St t ∷ * → *

  liftControl ∷ Monad m ⇒ (Run t → m α) → t m α

  restore ∷ Monad o ⇒ St t γ → t o γ

type Run t = ∀ n β. Monad n ⇒ t n β → n (St t β)

foo :: (Monad m, MonadTransControl t) => (Run t -> m α) -> t m α
foo f = liftControl f

Type checking 'foo' this gives the following error:

    Couldn't match expected type `Run t' with actual type `Run t'
    Expected type: Run t -> m α
      Actual type: Run t -> m α
    In the first argument of `liftControl', namely `f'
    In the expression: liftControl f

When I remove the type annotation of 'foo' the program type checks.
But when I ask ghci the type of 'foo' it tells me it's the same type:

> :t foo
foo :: (Monad m, MonadTransControl t) => (Run t -> m α) -> t m α

Is this a bug in GHC?

I'm using ghc-7.2.1.

Regards,

Bas