Parallel --make (GHC build times on newer MacBook Pros?)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:49:54 CEST 2011

On 01/09/2011 08:44, Evan Laforge wrote:
>> Yes, the plan was to eventually have a parallel --make mode.
>
> If that's the goal, wouldn't it be easier to start many ghcs?

It's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of.  There would have to
be an atomic file system operation to "commit" a compiled module -
getting that right could be a bit tricky (compilation isn't
deterministic, so the commit has to be atomic).

Then you would probably want to randomise the build order of each --make
run to maximise the chance that each GHC does something different.

Fun project for someone?