default instance for IsString

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Apr 24 08:26:07 CEST 2012

Greg Weber wrote:
> I very much agree with you. However, when we complain about something
> essentially we are asking others to prioritize it ahead of other
> things. I don't think any more visibility of this issue is going to
> improve its prioritization. I suspect your only way forward right now
> is to start implementing something yourself.

You're right. But as a professional Haskell developer, I am
under the same kinds of deadline pressures as any other
professional. So I'm afraid it's not going to be me, at least
not in the near future.

However, what I can do is raise the red flag. Some people
are pushing things in directions which would cause
OverloadStrings to become more and more ubiquitous,
perhaps even the default. I want to make sure that the
people who are doing that are aware of the deep problems
with that approach.

Sure, as much as anyone else, I want string literals
that can be typed as Text. But not at the cost of
delaying syntax checking to run time.

 And, as Bas points out, that there are many different
compile time mechanisms that could be used for this.

Thanks,
Yitz