Emitting constants to the .data section from the NatM monad

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:29:16 CET 2012

Hi!

I'm trying to implement word2Double# and I've looked at how e.g. LLVM
does it. LLVM outputs quite clever branchless code that uses two
predefined constants in the .data section. Is it possible to add
contents to the current .data section from a function in the NatM
monad e.g.

    coerceWord2FP :: Width -> Width -> CmmExpr -> NatM Register

?

Cheers,
Johan

P.S. Given this C code

    double f(unsigned long long u) { return u; }

LLVM generates this rather clever code:

        .section        __TEXT,__text,regular,pure_instructions
        .section        __TEXT,__literal8,8byte_literals
        .align  3
LCPI1_0:
        .long   1602224128     // constant we'd like to ouput
        .long   0      // constant we'd like to ouput
        .section        __TEXT,__text,regular,pure_instructions
        .globl  _f
        .align  4, 0x90
_f:
        pushl   %ebp
        movl    %esp, %ebp
        subl    $16, %esp
        movl    8(%ebp), %eax
        movl    12(%ebp), %ecx
        movl    %ecx, -4(%ebp)
        movl    %eax, -8(%ebp)
        testl   %ecx, %ecx              // check sign
        sets    %al                     // check sign
        xorb    $1, %al                 // check sign
        movzbl  %al, %eax               // 0 if signed
        fildll  -8(%ebp)                // load integer
        fadds   LCPI1_0(,%eax,4)        // add one of two constants
        fstpl   -16(%ebp)               // store and pop
        fldl    -16(%ebp)
        addl    $16, %esp
        popl    %ebp
        ret