proposal: separate lists for ghc-cvs commits and ghc-dev chatter

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Thu Dec 6 18:48:07 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 06:25:49PM +0200, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> >
> > +1. I'd like to follow GHC development discussions, but getting all the
> > commits is too much.
>
> I'm surprised by this, FWIW. I think skimming the commits is a good way
> to get an idea of what's going on,

Indeed, it can be. But I can't keep up with the huge number of commits
everyday, and I'm not interested in the large majority of them.

while discussions between developers
> tend to be focussed on particular obscure points (e.g. discussing
> correctness of a murky corner in the intersection between 2 new type
> system extensions, or discussing the way PIC is handled on OSX/PowerPC)
> which I wouldn't have thought were of much interest to any party not
> involved in the discussion and familiar with the details.

I find these things (both examples, actually) more interesting. I'm more
likely to follow such threads than I am to skim the commits.

Anyway, I'm not really too fussed about what mailing lists we have. I'll
> just subscribe to them all anyway  :-)

I'm not too fussed about it, either, but I wouldn't mind a restructuring. I
might even subscribe to them all as well, but then it will be easier to
follow the commits at a different pace from the rest (without having to
create a new filter, which I've been so far too lazy to do).

Regards,
Sean