Suggested policy: use declarative names for tests instead of increasing integers

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 18 11:32:39 CET 2012

(This belongs on cvs-ghc, or the upcoming ghc-devs.)

| I find our tests to be quite hard to navigate, as the majority have
| names like tc12345.hs or some such. I suggest we instead use descriptive
| names like GADT.hs or PrimOps.hs instead. What do people think?

We've really moved to a naming convention connected to tickets. Thus test T7490 is a test for Trac ticket #7490.  This is fantastic.  It eliminates the need for elaborate comments in the test to say what is being tested... just look at the ticket.

The old serially number tests tc032 etc are history.

If there isn't a corresponding ticket, it'd be a good idea to create one.

Increasingly we refer to tickets in source-code comments.  They are incredibly valuable resource to give the detail of what went wrong.

OK?  We should document this convention somewhere.

Simon