Holes in GHC

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Sun Feb 19 08:30:13 CET 2012

For those of us unfamiliar with Agda would somebody explain what you mean by showing ‘anything introduced in local scopes around the hole’?

If the hole were at the top level then this would be the module context and loading it into ghci would give you what you need? (Or more realistically you would be looking at the import statements and looking up the documentation, possibly with IDE tools.)

Of course, if the hole is inside the scope of ‘let’ or ‘where’ clauses then you could be missing some details of important pieces needed to fill the hole.

If I have understood this, the hole names a context in the code, which is generally *not* at the top level; the filling machinery is mostly concerned with reporting on that context. Thijs is proposing to start by providing tools to locate the context and report on its type, and add tools for extracting other context later.

FWIW, I think Thijs is wise to focus on a core extension to start with.

Chris