Records in Haskell

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Sat Feb 25 00:14:50 CET 2012

Sorry for getting offended!

I agree with your sentiment, which is why I thought having to write an
extra word in a Record declaration to get automatic abstraction over
fields was a good solution to the problem.

But now I am in the position of being the lone dissenter on automatic
abstraction over fields. And I am in disagreement with SPJ, and I
would gladly drop this entire process and just ask him to be a
benevolent dictator on the subject.

So I am ok with automatic abstraction over fields. Ideally we should
have a way to disable it, just as I was proposing we have a way to
enable it. But perhaps having this will help force a solution to the
circular references issues that makes automatic field abstraction
problematic in the first place. After all, Haskell did start with
barely any way to do IO.