Records in Haskell

Oliver Batchelor saulzar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:48:55 CET 2012

Hi Greg,

(Apologies for second mail, I didn't include the list)

I think the DORF approach is quite principled in it's namespacing. The
labels are just normal functions which can be exported and imported
between modules. I believe that is it's main strength - so I think to
say "it only solves the narrow name-spacing issue within a module." is
not quite accurate.

Sure - if you have two unrelated modules - say Data.Foo and Data.Bar
each with records with fields x and y they will clash. But this is a
very common situation e.g. how many functions called "map" are defined
in various modules?

If the modules are related, however - we can re-use the same label
without problem (in the same way we can define a type class Functor
for all the various "map" functions). I don't think it is so important
that we have globally common labels - if anything I would think that
would be an engineering goal to avoid? (Imagine how many labels called
"x" with different types may spring up)

-- First you create the labels:

module A (width, height)

width :: r { width :: Float } => r -> Float
height d :: r { height :: Float } => r -> Float

-- We can use them in one module.

module B (Rectangle (..)) where

import A (width, height)
data Rectangle = Rectangle { width, height }  -- Potentially don't
need to give these types, since they're already defined by the label

module C (Box (..)) where

import A (width, height)
length d :: r { length :: Float } => r -> Float

data Box = Box { width, height, length }  -- Use the same fields again

I've been following the discussion with interest.

Cheers,
Oliver