Records in Haskell

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Jan 9 06:39:08 CET 2012

On 12/28/11 1:34 PM, Donn Cave wrote:
> Quoth Greg Weber<greg at gregweber.info>,
>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Donn Cave<donn at avvanta.com>  wrote:
>>> I would think row polymorphism is a must-have.
>>>

>> Perhaps if you want *extensible* records. If you would like to make some
>> progress with records in the near future rather than keeping records in
>> limbo, I think we really need to give up for the moment on any higher form
>> of abstraction than straight-forward name-spacing.
>
> No, to be clear on that, I haven't given much thought to extensibility
> per se, I was thinking row polymorphism is a valuable feature on its own,
> and extensibility just seemed to me to be an implicit side benefit.

Yes, row polymorphism would still be helpful in lack of extensible
records. In particular it allows for easily determining principle
(structural) types of records; this is desirable from a generic
programming perspective even if records on the whole are not
structurally typed.

That is, we can distinguish the following types

     data Foo = MkFoo { x :: T }

     data Bar = MkBar { x :: T }

By considering them to desugar into

     type Foo = { __type :: Foo , x :: T }
     constructor MkFoo :: T -> Foo
     pattern MkFoo :: T -> Pattern

     type Bar = { __type :: Bar , x :: T }
     constructor MkBar :: T -> Bar
     pattern MkBar :: T -> Pattern

     accessor x :: { x :: T , ... } -> x

Of course, an actual implementation needn't come up with a phantom
argument like __type in order to nominally distinguish structurally
identical types. Rather, the existence of the hack shows that it's doable.

--
Live well,
~wren