Composition operator [was: Re: Records in Haskell]

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Thu Jan 12 23:14:08 CET 2012

Quoth Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info>,
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com>wrote:
>> So, who is up for proposing centred dot as the new record-field syntax?

> We don't need to make this change overnight. The new records system will be
> turned on by an extension. If you use the new records system, then you will
> be forced to place spaces around the dot composition operator, or use the
> unicode dot or an alternative operator.

The point seems pretty well taken.  If many programmers will actually
want the records extension, then they'll want to use it without
breaking their code, and the above proposal would help with that.

Changing the compose notation to some other character would break
practically all Haskell code, so it's hard to take that seriously.

"Spaces or unicode" would be the worst idea yet, but hopefully that
isn't what you meant.

	Donn